Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Andrew S. Arconti

The letter read "Now it is time." That was all. It was delivered quickly, almost with urgency, by a small man in a grey suit which had mustard stains running down it that competed with the stripes on the cheap fabric. After reading the letter, I attempted to pursue the deliverer in order to question him on the meaning of it. It was futile. The man, despite his small size and almost rudimentary legs, was already far down the street and had turned a corner which lead to nowhere and thus he was nowhere to be seen.
It could've meant almost anything. Being so free to interpretation, I decided myself that it meant it was time to get back to roots. And so, with some patience and a lot of impatience, and finally a bit of real over reacting and a heap of outrage, I dipped my brush into the lead, the cobalt, and the cadmium and proceeded to turn poison into something beautiful. And then said to myself, "now it is time."
So here I am a year or so after some hard work and self-examination, ready to unveil once again the over ripe fruits of my mind and heart to the public at large. This time however getting back to basics, which really is the best way of all, and doing things the traditional way.
Why would I do such a thing? To say thanks to all those who have inspired me to make the art I do, the great masters and some lesser ones from years and centuries past and some from the present. To hopefully one day similarly affect someone else the same way the works they created affect me when I stand before them totally awe stricken and absorbed, knees buckling.
Andrew Arconti lives with his wife and two cats and alongside painting also enjoys learning to play the Renaissance lute.

No comments:

Post a Comment